Thursday, February 26, 2015

All About My Little Growing Boy

My baby is no longer a baby. And I am horrible at updating this blog. And they say it only gets worse with each child...so soon you won't even know how many children I have.

Right now Ernest is 17 months and such a joy. He has completely mastered walking. He started a week or two before 12 months with a few steps and at his birthday party he decided to walk a bunch. From there he has always been walking. He has wanted to walk from day one. He loved standing, even as a newborn and walking was so thrilling for him.

He is truly a pleasant person. He rarely gets upset or cries or has meltdowns. While i do think he has an easy going temperament, I also think that enough sleep and routines make a huge difference for any child. And speaking of bedtime...Ernest loves bedtime! Which is just wonderful! He only gets his binky when he is going to sleep so when you take him in his room to go to bed he just starts giggling because he is so excited to get it. We have a nightly routine that he knows and is fairly short. The best part is when we turn the lights off and sit in the rocking chair he immediately puts his head on your shoulder. This is kinda big, well, actually really huge. He never cuddles...like ever! The fact that twice a day this kid lays his head on your shoulder is a miracle and often the sweetest part of my day. After rocking for a minute, and the recent addition of a song, we lay him in his bed and to sleep he goes. No fuss. I love it! And I worked hard earlier in his life to make bedtime as easy as possible. I'm sure our challenges will come but for now I am going to enjoy this. He goes to bed around 7 and wakes up around 7:20. And sleeps through the night. One nap after an early lunch. I could probably talk all day about sleeping, but I'll try and stop here.

He is speaking a little bit. He says Mom, Dad, bus, more, please, yes, thank you and a myriad of animal sounds. My favorite is the rabbit, which I guess you see more than hear. His favorite is the puppy and dog. And any time he gets a hold of any electronics he just wants to see pictures of puppies. In truth the only words someone other than his parents might catch are mom and yes. Those two are quite clear. Even though he can't speak a ton it is so fun to see him understanding more and more of what we say. Just today I asked him to go wipe his hands on the towel by dad, and he did, even though that is not something I regularly say to him. And of course he is constantly jabbering as if he has plenty to say and everyone knows what he is saying. I love it!

Despite his many food allergies I do my best to try and feed him whatever we are eating. Obviously it doesn't always work out as we still love our wheat and dairy, and the fact that he is still a toddler and there are just certain foods he doesn't like. I am always glad when he tries them though. I figure that is all I can ask of someone his age. He hates beans (even though he use to love them) and he doesn't really like meat unless it is beef jerky. He loves breakfast! When he get downstairs for the day he goes straight for the fridge, and while I don't doubt that he is hungry, he just loves breakfast foods. I make a special wheat free, dairy free and egg free waffle for him that he likes. He also loves oatmeal and cereal. The kid can easily out eat me at breakfast too. He gets a green smoothie twice a day with his cod liver oil and probiotic and helps me feel like he is eating healthy food! He has already outgrown two minor allergens (coconut and peppers) so I keep praying he will eventually out grow the rest (or at least the dairy and egg ones).

He gets so excited when we leave the house. He is so excited that sometimes I feel bad when I know that all we are going to do is drive. He may also be a little deprived of outings at this point. I am pregnant (if anyone is still reading this I guess you can consider that your announcement haha) and was sick pretty much all of January and I pretty much never left my house. So the poor kid really is desperate to get out. Luckily I am feeling starting to feel normal again and we have been leaving the house more and more. He is so easy to pleased though, a trip to the grocery store is more than enough to satisfy him.

And the randoms: We've always read books to him and he has just started to pull books out and read to himself. So cute. He loves buses and big trucks and gets so excited to look outside to see them. He loves to honk noses and will often pull that trick out when rocking to sleep. He is sometimes still slow to warm up to others. But at the same time...not too slow. By the end of any outing with new friends he will almost always be talking with them and give them a hug goodbye. He loves saying goodbye and doesn't know how to say hello. He loves babies, especially if they are girls. He has never really gotten clingy to me when I am holding another baby, but if Marshall is around he wants to be held by him. He is really isn't a clingy baby. The other day I left him in nursery to go to our stake religion class and he did great. Hopefully he responds the same when with nursery during church in a few weeks. He loves glasses and hats. He loves spinning tops. He loves pots and pans and the tupperware draw. He loves lids and putting lids on. He loves when someone will sit next to him on something that he can sit on all by himself (like the stairs). He loves real tools. He loves Facetime! We facetime Dad and Grandma Paxson most and he always has a lot to say. And he loves D'mar, like a lot!

And I am going to post this now...and hopefully add pictures sometime! haha This is so not my forte.

1 comment:

Shantel said...

It's fun to read about Ernest. He sounds really sweet!