Sunday, March 11, 2012

Because of the Restoration I am Happy!

Today in Sacrament meeting the topic for the speakers was the significance of the Restoration.  While each speaker added their own personal touch to their talk, I felt like they all worked together to deliver one big overall message for the congregation: What has the Restoration done for you?  One of the speakers encouraged us to make a list of how our lives are different, or what specific blessings we have received from the restoration. 

Now I will be honest.  I don't usually do what I am 'encouraged' to do in church (I am referring to the challenges we get in Sunday School or Sacrament meeting talks to plan for 30 min a day, or read one ensign article a day, etc). I usually have a whole list of things that I am trying to work on and adding another onto my already long list doesn't appeal to me.  However this blessed Sunday I did it! So here is my list...

Because of the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ...

  • I have been baptized by the authority of God.
  • I have the opportunity to receive priesthood blessings through the power of God, as well as personal revelation, and revelation received through his living prophet Thomas S. Monson.
  • I have the recipe for happiness.
  • I have the Book of Mormon and a second witness of the divinity of Jesus the Christ.
  • I have a family with more righteous patterns, habits, behaviors, and love than I would without the gospel.
  • I have received my endowments and continue to attend the temple and house of the Lord.
  • I have learned more about repentance and what it is, how to access the atonement, and I have personally been able to change (aka repent) because of the restoration of the gospel.
  • I have more knowledge about the characteristics of my Heavenly Father and His son Jesus Christ.
  • I have a clear purpose and direction in my life.  I know why I am here and what I need to do while I am here.
  • I have the eternal perspective that allows me to cope with and adjust to life and all it's trials by giving me peace and comfort from the Spirit.  This eternal perspective reminds me that many things will need to be resolved after this life.
I would like to expound on just one as I think it is particularly noteworthy (and let me remind you this is just a short list, and there are many more things it would be easy to include in this list).

I have the recipe for happiness: Today I sat in church thinking about the blessings I receive from the gospel.  I will always remember the moment I realized living the gospel principles not only brings happiness but also significantly reduces the amount of trials and heartache you have...

I was watching my brother's children.  I can't remember how long I was there I just know I slept there so it was for at least 24 hours.  I had gotten the kids to bed, and was just heading to bed myself (I actually think I was in the middle of my nightly prayer) when I heard a knock on the door. I was hesitant to answer it because it was late and it wasn't my house but I also didn't want them to knock again and wake anyone up so I went and opened the door making sure to leave the screen door shut.

As I opened the door I saw what I thought was my little sister in tears. I immediately opened the door and asked her what was wrong and immediately realized this was not my sister at all.  By then it was too late to retract my hospitality so I found myself inside my brother's house with one of my brother's neighbors.  She was sobbing as she began to tell me what was wrong. To be honest I don't remember her whole story or even really part of it.  I do remember thinking that if she would have been living the gospel principles in her life she wouldn't be in the mess she is in now.

Now I am not saying that members of the Church of Jesus Christ do not have trials, or hardships, or bad luck, or problems. They do! And they have their fair share.  I have my very own problems, and they are just as real and as hard as yours. And yet the gospels makes them more simple. The gospel is a guide to happiness and it shows us the pathway or the things we should do to be happy and to prevent certain problems or consequences from taking place in our lives. 

Mosiah 2:41 states: "I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God."

I have in fact done just that. And I have done so often. I do not know someone who is truly living the principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ who is not happy (the key word here is truly, another day adn another time we will have talk about what that means exactly). Remember being happy in the gospel doesn't mean that you don't have problems, trials, or heartaches. It only means that you are happy.

I can only leave my experience with you. There have been times when I have strayed further from the straight and narrow path and it did not bring me happiness. It brought me destruction, darkness, lies, and illusions. As I have walked the straight and narrow path I am happy despite all the trials and hardships I am experiencing. I am joyful, grateful, blessed, and receive many opportunities and blessing that greatly enhance my life. And it is my belief that those blessings have come from choosing the gospel.



2 comments:

Danielle said...

The recipe for happiness! Perfection. Love your blog!

Allison said...

FYI: I miss you and think that you are extraordinary.